Monday, December 10, 2007

Good Things Come in Small Packages

As I have mentioned previously, Chinese women desire to look like the tall version of Jessie. All of the ads and marketing consistently remind them of the way they don’t look. This is an embarrassingly opportune moment to recall an Opera episode. In my defense, I was watching this with my mom on a hopefully rainy day. Opera was discussing how Asian women desire to look like western women: tall, skinny, and with folds in their eye lids. I am not joking; the fold is an extremely desirable attribute. Asian women have an equally difficult time as American women do with weight. Cindy wears a glue-on prosthetic to simulate the fold. It is really interesting how a government like China, which attempt to regulate thought, allows the promotion of this behavior. Though out the day Cindy made comments about her displeasure with her height, I told her one of my favorite American phrases, “Good things come in small packages.” I really enjoy spending time with Frank and Cindy. I hope they are also enjoying our company and learning from this experience as equally as we are.

No comments: